Icebreaker: What event or accomplishment in your life did you have to wait a very long time for? How did you feel when it finally arrived? When it was over?
- Read Luke 17:20-21. In answering the Pharisees’ question, what does Jesus say about the kingdom—as to when, how, or where it is? Does he view the kingdom as an inward spiritual reality within people? Or an outward, social manifestation among them? Or is it something else?
- Read Luke 17:22-28. What do you think Jesus means when he says, “The time is coming when you will long to see one of the days of the Son of Man, but you will not see it” (v. 22)? How will those days be like the days of Noah or Lot? What is the connection?
- Read Luke 17:29-37. In light of Jesus’ unexpected return, how are his followers to live? Verse 37 was a common proverb, implying that something will happen in its proper time. Why does Jesus answer this way?
- How often do you think about Jesus’ return? How would you live your life differently if you were more aware of his return each day?
- How can we pray for one another?